How to Apply
The Application Process
For the 2017-2018 academic year, The Department of Family Medicine will offer two unique tracks: the University and Urban; both under the same ACGME number 1203821241.
To apply for a residency position, all applicants must use the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS) at www.aamc.org/eras. Applicants may select one or both tracks within their ERAS application.
All supporting documents for ERAS applications should be directed to ERAS and should include:
- Personal Statement
- Curriculum Vitae
- Medical Student Performance Evaluation letter from your medical institution
- Three letters of recommendation from faculty members familiar with your performance. One MUST come from a Family Physician
- USMLE and/or COMLEX scores
- Recent photograph (for identification purposes only)
The deadline for applying for the 2017-2018 academic year is December 1, 2016. Serious applicants are advised to apply as soon as they are able.
What We Look for in Our Applicants
Ideal candidates for our program have the following characteristics:
- A passion to become an excellent family physician poised for leadership in the future of health care in the United States
- A strong work ethic
- An ability to work well within teams
- A thirst for learning and self-motivation to become life-long learners
- An ability to have fun and bring joy to others
Our program strives to create a nurturing learning environment that emphasizes excellence, evidence-based medicine, high quality patient care, diversity, teamwork, scholarship, and leadership.
When reviewing applications, our recruiting team will consider the most qualified applicants. Although we consider the entire application, the most qualified applicant is one who:
- Provides at least one letter of recommendation (LOR) from a Family Physician (out of the 3 required LORs). Graduated from medical school no more than 2 years before the potential start of residency (2015 or later).
- Receive USMLE or COMLEX Scores in the following ranges:
- USMLE Step 1: 207 or higher on the first attempt
- USMLE Step 2: 222 or higher on the first attempt
- COMLEX Step 1: 419 or higher on the first attempt
- COMLEX Step 2: 411 or higher on the first attempt
- Passes USMLE Step 2 CS on first attempt
International Medical Graduates
In addition to the requirement above, the following criteria must be met:
- Must have a minimum of one (1) year clinical training in the United States. Observerships and research positions do not satisfy this requirement.
- Must have a valid ECFMG certificate before start of residency (if applicable).
- Must be eligible for J-1 visa, if applicable. (Important Note: The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center accepts J-1 visas only.)
The Interview Process
Please note: Submitting an application through ERAS does not guarantee an interview.
- Beginning in early fall, ERAS applicants will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Selected applicants will be contacted by the Program Coordinator with details and instructions for setting up an interview date.
- Candidates will be interviewed by faculty members and residents and will receive a tour of our facilities. You will be invited to attend an informal dinner with our residents the evening before your interview.
- During your visit, one of our residents will be assigned as your host. Your Resident Host is your main point of contact with our program.
- Applicants are responsible for interview expenses such as travel and parking. We provide lodging and dinner with our residents the evening prior to your interview, as well as breakfast and lunch during your interview day. Interviews are generally held on Wednesdays and are planned to take place November 2016 through January 2017.
If you have any questions, please contact our Residency Office:
Laura Thompson, MA
Residency Program Coordinator
2231 North High Street, Columbus, Ohio 43201
Phone: (614) 293-2651; Fax: (614) 293-2717