Our Goals, Philosophy, and Strategic Objectives
A successful predoctoral program in family medicine introduces medical students to the practice of family medicine and prepares them for the practice of medicine.
Commit to providing medical education that encompasses the six ACGME core competencies:
- Broad medical knowledge base
- A relationship-centered patient care exposure
- A practice-based learning experience
- An expansion of interpersonal communication skills
- An experienced based understanding of professionalism
- A comprehension of systems-based practice
- Support personal and professional development of predoctoral faculty and staff
The medical profession is founded on altruism and service. As faculty, we have the responsibility and the opportunity to bring each generation of medical students to the door of serving others.
- Increase visibility of faculty as service role models
- Develop student service opportunities in collaboration with the Department and the PCM program
- Support an environment that embraces diversity
- Integrate service into all aspects of medical education
Leadership opportunities are a natural outgrowth of a family physician’s role in the community. Leadership development must be an integrated part of the predoctoral experience.
- Increase student understanding of family physician leadership roles
- Assist students in creating a personal and professional vision and encourage discussion on personal and professional values
- Establish the Department of Family Medicine as a system-wide resource on leadership development for medical students
The medical profession calls us to be men and women of compassion and commitment, professionals of integrity and ability, human beings with a basic respect for all other human beings, and people with the unerring ability to put the needs of others before ourselves.
- To teach medical students is to be their professional role models
- Establish foundation for meeting the ACGME Core Competency Requirements on Professionalism and assist each student in his/her transition from personal identity to professional identity
- Set the standard(s) as faculty role models in professionalism
- Promote professionalism and professional well-being to the extent of becoming a benchmark resource on professionalism and professional well-being
The predoctoral area of the Department of Family Medicine has core goals that involve:
- Excellence in medical school education
- Creating the family of family physicians in the medical school environment
- Finding those special students with the "heart of a family physician"
- Continue to create the continuum of care for the medical student selecting family medicine as a career
- Encourage programming that promotes personal and professional growth and recognizes student(s) with the "heart of a family physician"
- Strive for innovation in predoctoral education that serves as a national benchmark
- Prepare students for the practice of the future